2021 Call for Applications for SVP Funding and Partnership
Who Should Apply?
Social Venture Partners (SVP) seeks to invest financial resources and professional expertise in high-impact nonprofit organizations/initiatives that are addressing social and economic inequality in Mecklenburg County.
The New SVP Investee(s) will receive:
- A yearlong engagement of volunteer professional support to work in partnership with the organization to strengthen the organization’s effectiveness and ability to fulfill its mission
- A unrestricted cash grant for capacity building
- An annual opportunity to renew for up to three years
SVP’s Philosophy and Approach:
We are a group of experienced, skilled professionals applying a highly engaged approach to philanthropy. SVP invests through venture philanthropy, a model of giving where its members not only provide grants, but also invest their collective expertise and time to extend the reach and improve the success of high potential, growth-minded nonprofits.
To help strengthen the nonprofits with whom we partner, SVP combines our grants with volunteers who can provide strategic counsel. Examples of Partner engagement include, but are not limited to assistance with:
- strategic and business planning
- research and program design
- leadership development
- marketing and communications
- finance and revenue development
- board development and governance
- human resources
- outcomes measurement and program evaluation
- information technology
Over time, our Investees and Partners develop a mutually beneficial partnership. Our Investees gain from the valuable expertise, guidance, and mentorship of our Partners while our Partners gain rich insight into community issues and the nonprofit sector.
Guiding Principles for SVP Investment:
SVP seeks to partner with nonprofit organizations that will benefit from a long-term relationship with SVP, including hands-on engagement with individual members.
While all of our investments are unique, our experience suggests that there are common themes to a successful SVP investment. The nonprofits we invest in will:
- Be a registered 501c3 organization
- Address an important social issue that will work to alleviate social and economic inequality
- Have strong leadership and successful programs or well-formed programmatic plans
- Find SVP’s investment to be significant
- Be in need of and committed to incorporating SVP expertise and volunteer support
- Have commitment and full support from their Board of Directors
- Be committed to performance and outcomes measurement
How to Apply:
Please click APPLY below to submit a Letter of Interest (LOI). There, you will create an account and complete the application form. You can save your progress and make changes until you hit the “submit” button. You will receive an email notification once we have received your application.
Next Steps and Timeline:
The SVP Investment Team will review all submissions and select 2-4 semi-finalists to submit a full proposal to become the next SVP Investee. Semi-finalists will also host a site visit with the SVP Investment Team and staff. Up to three of the semi-finalists will be selected as finalists to be voted on by the entire SVP Partnership.
- August 25 (12-1): Applicant Interest Webinar
- September 6 (Midnight): Letters of Interest due
- September 24: Finalists invited to submit Full Proposals
- October 17 (Midnight): Full Proposals due
- Oct 25 – Nov 5: Semi-Finalist site visits
- November 18: Finalists presented to SVP Partners
- November 22: SVP due diligence session and Partner vote
- December 6: Investee announcement to public
- January 2022: Investee engagement begins